Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

G.A.M.E is here!


Game Master, a local multi-gaming mag that I've long regard with the utmost esteem since its release, has departed. It has for a long time now. Due to some publishing and financial reasons, Game Master was taken out of the business, thus began my sinkhole. Who is to accompany me on those long defecating breaks on the comfort room? Those long dragging lines? Those solitary morning breakfasts?

Enter G.A.M.E.

G.A.M.E is the new Game Master, it seems. Aside from G.A.M.E being more online-oriented, they're basically two peas in a pod. Oh and instead of getting long two-page reviews plastered with screen shots and caustic one liners, you get two-paragraph irksome reviews. I have nothing against laconic reviews, so long its handled efficiently.

Anyway, here's my take:

  • White space - the layout looks too simplistic for me (that’s just me, guys). A gaming magazine has to have more spunk and manly guffaw. It has to provide “shock and awe”.
  • More screenshots - don’t just use the hi-res and boring jpegs provided for in the press kits. Players want more screenshots of ACTUAL IN-GAME FOOTAGE. Trust me, that’s what PC Gamer and other mags do.
  • Sidebars - include little bits of game trivia or information in the sidebars such as difficulty settings, HD or widescreen options or cool NPCs and other knick-knacks. It makes for a better review.
  • Official logos - use the official logos of the games or the brand/company in the reviews. The marketing managers will be more happy that you did. And it builds upon the game’s brand equity.
  • Have a website - I know they’re already planning for this. Can’t wait to see how it will look like. I do hope that it’s a blog and contains some stuff not found in the mag. A mag and its site have to work in tandem to promote each other. Synergy is the key word here.
That’s it for my unsolicited advice for them. For all its shortcomings, here's hoping they can do a better job next time and provide good'ol fashion gaming information in an absorbing address.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home